Off The Hook Seafood Emporium - Whitby Ontario


THIS RESTAURANT IS NOW CLOSED FOR BUSINESS

A friend and I were recently discussing that there are very few dining options, other than Red Lobster, for seafood only restaurants in the Whitby/Oshawa area. This past December we noticed an advertisment in our local newspaper for Off The Hook Seafood Emporium opening in Whitby with a 25% off coupon. We were thrilled, and decided to try it out before the coupon expired.

I checked out the reviews and most were good, except for a few complaints about service, but that is understandable with a new restaurant. We had no complaints about the service, it was excellent.

We arrived just after noon time, and were the first customers of the day. The commodious dining area was amply decorated in a fitting nautical theme.


If your a shellfish lover, they have an extensive selection of clams, mussels and oysters.
I wasn't daring enough to try a Vodka Oyster shot.

I started off with pan seared Nova Scotia scallops paired with a bacon and jalapeno cream sauce. They were excellent. I usually order Digby Scallops when I visit Barootes in Toronto, and I must say Off The Hook has them beat! I am craving them again looking at the below photo.

Off The Hooks menu is extensive for the fresh seafood lover, but I can be picky when I dine out. I only like shrimp, scallops, lobster, halibut and clams if they are fried or battered. And fried is the way I prefer most of my seafood. That left me with zero choices when it came to battered, except for the haddock but I'm a halibut lover.

I chose my favorite seafood for my lunch entree, Canadian lobster tail, which was only $13.99 minus my 25% off coupon. It was a nice size tail and came easily out of the shell. I did find it a bit overcooked, as it was so chewy, almost to the point that I couldn't chew it, but very tasty indeed. I had to ask for a steak knife to cut it. It came with steamed fresh vegetables and I chose a baked potato. Next time I will try the fresh cut fries, and I will give the lobster tail another try.

A cozy sitting area in front of a fireplace (above photo) was an inviting spot to have a few drinks before dinner or waiting for a dinner date. We entered through the doors to the left of the fireplace, and although it was a seasonably warm day, I did notice a draft. Perhaps on bitter cold days, they might close this door and use the other entrance further down to the right near the reservation desk.

Off The Hook, is located at 1600 Champlain Avenue, at the corner of Champlain and Thickson, just off the 401, in the plaza where Don Cherrys was formerly located. THIS RESTAURNT IS CLOSED.

No comments:

Post a Comment