Kalays Seafood Restaurant - Belleville, Ontario CLOSED:-(

My Mother-in-law and I were always in search for the best seafood. I remember her joking about the pathetic scallops that I ordered at Red Lobster. She said to me, there is only one real scallop and that is a Digby scallop. She was right. Sadly she is not with us today, to share this hidden gem located in Belleville, Ontario, Kalays Seafood Restaurant. She would have loved a restaurant that was true to her Nova Scotia roots, and that served fresh authentic maritime seafood.


The first time I experienced Kalays, was from their food truck, which sadly they no longer have. I sampled some friend clam strips and a lobster roll which was out of this world. This in turn led to many visits to their restaurant on Sidney Street, and each and every time I had the scallops. Well on my last visit with a fellow seafood lover, I was going to order my usual Digby scallops but she was ordering the Fishermans platter. I had to try it too, or I would have been so jealous. It consisted of breaded haddock, shrimp, clam strips and scallops accompanied with fries, cole slaw and their homemade sauces.

Kalays Fishermans Platter

Everything was delicious. Seafood is something you either like or dislike. For me my passion is deep fried with an ample amount of tartar sauce, enough to even dip your fries in it. I won't eat it without. My Dad used to tell me I was ruining the flavor of the seafood, but to me it compliments it, just like the lemon does. They do have seafood sauce for those who prefer it. For their menu, click here.

I do love my fried clams with many of my childhood foodie memories being of lunch outings with my Mom for some of the light and fluffy Howard Johnsons fried clams. They were the best ever. The history of the fried clam strip is interesting, click here to read.

Howard Johnsons Tendersweet Fried Clams. Photo credit: Look-to-the-skies.com

Kalays offers the traditional fried clam strips which are very good, but they also have on their menu lightly dusted Digby full-bellied clams (seasonal) fried up golden and served with tartar sauce. I think I'm going to have to try these, as I have never in my life tried a true whole fried clam.

A kitchen workshop for hosting your own lobster dinner party, or donair party.

Kalays has many events throughout the year to get the full Maritime experience. On the last Sunday of every month they have a traditional Jiggs dinner. Jiggs dinner is a meal commonly prepared and eaten on Sundays in many regions around the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The meal most typically consists of salt beef (or salt riblets), boiled together with potatoes, carrot, cabbage, turnip, and turnip greens. Kalays serves theirs with roast chicken.

The fishing boats at Digby Harbour in Nova Scotia. 

So if you are missing the maritimes or just have a craving for the freshest seafood around and some East Coast Hospitality, be sure to check out Kalays Seafood Restaurant.

Kalays Restaurant
393 Sidney Street, Hidden Square
Belleville, Ontario
613-962-3838

1 comment:

  1. Kalay's has the best full bellied clams west of Nova Scotia. I have them almost every time I go there. I have never been disappointed with any meal there. Lisa and her staff are awesome.

    ReplyDelete