Art of Transition - Tourism Summit

This past November I attended the Art of Transition Tourism Summit, a daylong celebration of Durham Region's creative economy, showcasing the rich culture and history, attractions and business commuinity held at Durham College.

Three reasons I wanted to attend, it was free, only a 10 minute drive from my home and the most important was that I wanted to hear the presentation by Rebecca LeHeup, (pictured below) the executive director of Ontario Culinary Tourism Alliance (OCTA), on Ontario Culinary Tourism.

I first met Rebecca when I attended one of her presentations on Social Media, and then through my work with the Great Canadian Cheese Festival and all the help and good advice she gave us.

Not only do we share the name Rebecca, after enjoying her presentation, I realized we also share our love of all things Ontario.

Growing up in the states, I have always loved Ontario, as it was our annual family vacation destination, and now my home for the past 12 years. I looked forward to those trips to Canada and all the wonderful food we would find, such as butter tarts, curds, peameal bacon, whey butter and aged old cheddar that was to-die for!

One think I won't forget is that Rebecca asked, what do people remember most about their vacations? Answer: Their culinary experience. How true! Whether it be a fantastic dining experience or local produce or artisan food, you remember it! Think about it?

Rebecca stressed the importance to her audience of buying local and supporting your local economy and how it all ripples back.

My Dad was a big supporter of buying domestic, as he always said, if its not made in the US or Canada, don't buy it (he loved Canada just as much). And after my 20 years as a union leader in the garment industry, I too know the importance of supporting your community.

Rebecca also mentioned that if you don't see something local in your store, than ask them to carry it. I can't tell you how many times I have been asking our local LCBO stores to carry some of the great wines and cider from Prince Edward County. Granted we have a lot of local Niagara wines but I do love my PEC wines and cider:-)

The culinary students picture below with Rebecca, learned the importance of using local ingredients.

There was a culinary booth set up, but I didn't stay until 4pm when samplings from local Durham establishments were served.

The Royal Ashburn Golf Club was one of the many exhibitors showing all our region has to offer.

We are fortunate to have Mosport speedway, recognized as Canadas Home of Motorsports. Although my husband worked here in the past, its strange we have never visited it together, after all we met in a Nascar Chat room, and have drove many miles visiting our favorite tracks.
OK, its on my Ontario bucket list: Visit Mosport!!!

Dagmar Ski Resort is also close to home. Who needs to travel outside of Ontario, when we have everything here?

And a big Hello to our good friend Terry Johnston (below photo) the morning DJ from CKDO, Durham's Classic Hits!

Small for its first year, the Tourism Summit was very enjoyable. Hopefully next year there will be more participation. Its a great way to get out and see all that Durham Region and Ontario has to offer! Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment