Port Perry - Harp & Wylie's Canadian Grill House

Port Perry located on the shores of Lake Scugog, is always one of my favorite destinations for a local get-away.


I'm always looking for a really good restaurant in the Port Perry area. Recently a friend and I decided to try Harp & Wylies for some lunch. They have a nice selection on their menu.
For an appetizer we shared the crab cakes (pictured below) served with chipotle and lemon aioli. They were ok, but I never had crab cakes with corn as an ingredient. I guess I am spoiled being raised near the Chesapeake Bay where restaurants served Maryland style crab cakes with no fillers!

Although I am always up to trying new sauces, I asked if they had tarter sauce, as its a must for me when eating fried seafood. Nope, none available. I have tasted some wonderful tarter sauces in restaurants that didn't have tarter sauce, but the chef would whip some up for me. After all how hard is it, just some mayo and relish and a bit of lemon.

For lunch my first choice was to have the caesar salad and some french onion soup, but decided against it because I was told that I couldn't substitute another cheese in the soup for the jalapeno havarti. Makes me wonder why a restaurant wouldn't have a swiss or mozzarella on hand.

I decided on the Panko chicken tenders served with chili/lime sauce for dipping with sweet yam fries. Even my friend commented that the chicken looked a bit over done. I thought maybe it was me, that I was not used to a Panko coating, but panko bread crumbs are supposed to be lighter than regular crumbs as they are not made with the crusts of the bread.

I did not care for the sauce, and was not offered a choice of anything else when I asked for a substitute. You would think the waitress would say, well we have this or that, but by this time I was tired of asking.

My friend had opted for the Wylies burger, which looked pretty good.

Harp & Wylies claims to be an upscale casual dining experience. The food was good and the establishment was clean. Good choices on the menu. I would recommend this place but next time, I'll take a bottle of tarter sauce, or dill sauce or a ranch dip:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment