Old Stockdale Mill Restaurant - Frankford, Ontario

The Old Stockdale Mill Restaurant is located north of Trenton in the town of Frankford, Ontario, just 25 minutes from Belleville in Quinte West. 08-11-13

THIS RESTAURANT IS NOW CLOSED AND UP FOR SALE as of  April 2014

Formerly known as the The Old Mill Gastro Pub this past winter it was renamed the Old Stockdale Mill Restaurant.


From the outside, it looks charming, but almost uninhabited. The mill was built in 1867 along Cold Creek in the village of Stockdale, just outside of Frankford.


 There are two dining rooms on the main level, once which overlooks the Cold Creek.



Upstairs in the loft, there is also some more tables, a bar area and a restroom. Good location for a dinner party or special occasion.


Since it was my Birthday I did my research to find someplace that I thought I would enjoy and chose The Old Stockdale Mill, since it was only about a 15 minute drive from our home and had some nice seafood selections that I knew I would enjoy such as the Walleye or the petite surf & turf, which consisted of a filet mignon and jumbo garlic tiger shrimp.

We arrived at 2:30 pm on a Sunday, and were disappointed that we could not order from the dinner menu. The menu on their website stated: dinner menu and lighter fare, but failed to mention that dinner is only served after 4pm. We had assumed that the lighter fare meant a bar menu, as most restaurants have, and didn't think they would turn down two people who wanted to blow over $100. on a good Sunday Dinner. They also had many dinner options that my husband would have enjoyed, such as the ribs or smoke bacon wrapped filet mignon.


I opted for two appetizers, since I was looking for some good seafood so I choose the jumbo garlic tiger shrimp and an order of fries. (above photo) The shrimp were cooked to perfection, although I don't know why on the lunch menu you only get four and for the same price on the dinner menu their website advertises that you get 5. I could have used one more shrimp as they were very good. The fries seemed a bit pricey for $6.00 but you got a big plate of them. I was very happy when I asked for tarter sauce and the waitress and chef kindly accommodated with whipping some up for me in a few minutes.
Call me finicky, but I can't eat seafood without tarter sauce, and I love to dip my fries in it also.


My husband choose his usual grilled chicken caesar salad (above) with homemade garlic lovers dressing. The salad was huge. He said it could have used more dressing and we are used to our caesar salads having homemade croutons and shaved parmesan, not what looked like shaker parmesan. And also to his disappointment, there was only microbrews on the beer menu. I'm not a big fan of microbrews either, but at least they did have the only one I do like on the menu, which was Mill Street Organic.

We figured we would give the food a try, since its not far from home, and the restaurant choices in the Campbellford/Stirling/Belleville area are far and few between. We will definitely return, only not for lunch.  We will just make sure its after 4pm:-)

For additional photos: Click Here

The Old Stockdale Mill Restaurant
1914 Stockdale Road, Quinte West, Ontario
Reservations: 613-398-1700 or 416-699-2001

Website: http://www.stockdalemill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment